Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Popcorn and Lollipops




On Tuesday remnants of tropical storm Fay reached the Charlotte area but it felt like a full on tropical storm was here. Crazy amounts of rain, occasional thunder and tornado warnings were on the TV. I think the weather dudes were more excited about it than the average joe. Certainly more excited than me since as a stay at home Mom, rainy day spells trouble.

I started the day with good intentions, despite the rain I wanted to get the kids out of the house and head to the mall for some back to school shopping. But after showering and another glance at the TV radar I decided it was best to stay put. Not that I can't handle driving in rain, but the thought of dragging the kids out with all their rain gear, umbrellas, not to mention all the other bored SAHM who probably have the same desperate need to escape, seems to overwhelming. So we ventured out just up the street to Blockbuster instead. Ran in long enough to grab a movie and then headed back home for lunch. The lady at Blockbuster gave the boys free lollipops and when asked what they wanted for lunch when we got home they responded in unison "Popcorn." Well, okay we can do that. A lollipop appetizer followed by popcorn and a movie for lunch. Sounded good to me. And it was. It was good because I was reminded that on some days you just need to go with the flow. No schedule, no plans, no sunshine, no problem. We had movie day pretty much all day. We had play time with some toys I think the boys forgot they had. We took time to watch the rain as it fell in bucket loads and I got the pleasure of hearing Evan saying that the grass was thirsty so God was giving it a drink. Wow.... it really was a fun day. Even though it was dark and yucky out, it was sunny and cheery inside. A rare gift a week before they go off to school. Rainy days are usually ones I want to forget. But not that day, and thanks to popcorn, lollipops and a storm named Fay, I don't think I ever will.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great day! we vegged out in front of the tv too. but we all went out that evening and went "puddle jumping." they were cold and drenched and dirty, but it was fun!

megan said...

So sweet!