Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The child formerly known as Evan













I wish I knew that on some nights when you put your precious little 3 and half year old down for bed that the following morning when you wake them up they have turned into the devil. Or even worse, a teenager. Of course Evan is still only three and a half but the teenager/devil in him has reared it’s ugly head without any warning. Defiance…..yelling….not listening….and my personal favorite, the shoulder shrug eye roll combo when asked if he needed a spanking for his "attitude." Oh my goodness who is this boy??? Where did my sweet, genuine three year old go? What happened durning the night that advanced him light years ahead into a person who knows that repeating everything I say with a certain "tone" can cause a mother to lose it.
"Evan, you are being naughty and we are done playing outside!"
No Mommy you are being naughty and we are done playing outside."
"Do you want a spanking?"
"Do you want a spanking?"
Needless to say he got the spanking.
Yet his defiance and general anger went on through the day… Such as every other milestone that I have endured with raising two boys. I guess am not too worried since I was sorting of waiting for Evan to turn in to little green goblin thing form Ghostbusters. I just wasn’t expecting it until a few years from now.

I think back to one of my mom friends who told me the "Threes" were the terrible ones, not the twos. I heard her words at the time, but as most Moms do when a growth stage is mentioned I thought to myself "Not Evan" he is different after all he is my son. He is completely invisible to such typical behavior…He is perfect. Well, not perfect but darn close. Up until now the threes have been fairly easy going (even the potty training hasn't been as dreadful as I thought it would be). Evan is a sweet, caring fun loving little boy. He loves Thomas the train his science books, the show "Go Diego Go" and even has his very own special Diego imaginary friend. We have talks about being a big boy and how proud I am of him for learning to count to ten and sing his ABC’s. For all practical purposes Evan is a normal 3 1/2 year old little boy.... And I suppose that means he is after all not perfect. And as I type this I realize that neither am I. We both are still feeling our way through our roles in each other lives. He is getting older he is trying new things even if it means pushing me more than he ever has. I still can't wait to get him up in the morning. I can't wait to see what he has in store for me as he continues to grow up on me. I know the bad days are going to happen, I know the good days are going to happen too. I know that no matter how green goblinish he turns, I will love him just the same.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

mary, i am riding the same train with molly. she's a GREAT kid. really. she is. but i get the attitude and the defiance and the looks that make me want to lock her away. and then i remind myself that this is her way of asserting her independence and it's what she needs to do to grow up into a fierce WOMAN someday. it still sucks though.

Unknown said...

Somewhere....beneath the covers... in the silence of the night.... when no one is looking.... Aunt T is snickering! lol :-) xoxo

Varna said...

Love the photo by Evan, made me laugh eventhough you are having a tough time! I am right there with ya momma! Hang in there, soon this too shall pass... then on the next unexpected green ghost!

Amy J said...

I think I might have been the one to say the 3's are worse than the "terrible two's". hahaha I'm awaiting my second round any day.

It's a trying age, but they are growing in every way possible. It's the age of independence.