Monday, July 28, 2008

Swim Lessons!




The boys finished a week of swim lessons last week. They learned how to kick, doggie paddle and blow bubbles. They learned how to keep their mouths closed if they go under and they learned how to use a kick board. Now, here is what Mommy learned:
  • After a week of lessons they still do not know how to swim (like everything else, practice and practice and more practice)

  • Ryan, if given the opportunity, could spend all day jumping from the side of the pool into the water completely carefree if anyone would be there to catch him or not. I still find myself checking my pulse for heart failure and him for gills and a fin.

  • Evan, ever the cautious one, took the exact opposite approach and permanently glued himself to the pool steps unless Erin the swim instructor or Mommy was exactly 1/2 inch from his grasp (he even had a ruler).

  • Pools are cold at 10:00 in the morning, even in July.

  • Thank God for kick boards.

  • Thank God swim lessons with a 2 year old and 3 year old are only 30 minutes.

  • Thank God they are over.

But when all is said and done the lessons were great. I think they learned a few tricks but like I mentioned before it's going to take practice, repetition and consistency. Just like everything else with these kids once is not enough. But I know eventually they will get it and until then when it comes to water safety I will probably be my usual neurotic self constantly watching, and holding on to them forever wanting to keep them safe. Even if they don't know it as they continue to grow up on me a little bit more each day!!

No comments: