Monday, April 28, 2008

Come Sail Away!!























The 2008 boating season has begun....A.k.A time for Mommy to begin the oh so famous it's summer and welcome new set of neurotic worries that always seem to plague this time of year. Let's see there is forgetting to carry sunscreen, bee stings, falls and bruises from outside play, eating dirt (Ryan) playing with sticks (Evan) trying to pet the "mystery" insect that may or may not be poisonous (Ryan) and general summer time chaos. Don't get me wrong, I love this time of year because we can be outside more and play but it does create a shift in Mommy's stress level, especially when it comes to the boat.

I guess no matter how hard I try these boys are going to grow up and eventually want to go swimming. I suppose sending them off to college with their inflatable arms swimmies may be boarding line child abuse but what can I say, I am a Mom and I worry it's my job!!

Enter Daddy!! And I must say thank God for Daddies at time like this because they aren't usually as neurotic as we Mommies can be and therefore more fun (and yes I can even admit more "cool" activities Can take place). Like getting out on the boat with the kids on a Sunday afternoon. Chris loves being out on the boat. Deep down I do too...but again that whole worry thing.... But the season is here and just like last year, I push my worries aside and realize that I can't live in constant "what if" neurosis all the time (well I can but at leats fake that I don't )..

So after sepding 20 minutes fastening up life jackets and downing a Bud Light to clam my nerves we ventured out for the first time this season on to the lake.... And just like I knew it would be, it was magical. Not just to see the at peace look on my husbands' face, but to see how much the kids loved a new activity. I doubt very seriously they remember last year's boating ventures but this year as they continue to have the nerve to grow up on me they just seemed to be in their element. An deep down I was too. Husband, boys, boat, lake, sunset..... What in the world was I worried about???

Welcome spring! I am glad you are finally here.!!
Mary I.

1 comment:

Amy J said...

Looks like tons of fun, Mary. And yes, Dads are way better at not being neurotic. :)