Thursday, April 10, 2008

Brotherly love


So I knew one day that Evan would be glad he had a brother. In fact my first reaction when we found out we were having another boy was pure happiness for Evan. See, I grew up with a twin sister and she and I are best of friends. Of course it wasn't always like that, but I knew that no matter what I would always have some one close to me who was my age who would always just "get me." Even though Evan and Ryan aren't technically twins (although Iget asked daily if they are), a year a part is pretty close. Despite months of not sharing, hitting and even biting (both are guilty of this) Evan has finally turned a corner in realizing that Ryan is not only his brother but hey- a friend. I notice this in little small glimpses more and more every day. This morning a perfect example. I was in the kitchen getting my coffee. Muttering around in my still asleep fog searching for the Splenda. Go Diego Go was playing in the background and two little boys were perched on the sofa waiting for me to bring them their juice and cup full of cheerios. When all of the sudden it got quiet. Too quiet. And the last time I heard such quiet was when they had escaped upstairs to Daddy's computer and was in mid mp3 download when I busted them. So, this kind of quite makes a mommy kind of nervous. So I wander form the kitchen to the family one to find the boys gone. Diego still plays in the background almost mocking me that I have not only lost the children but have yet to also find the Splenda.

Anyways I hear distant babbling and find my two precious angels in the bathroom. Ryan perched in the side of the tub, Evan rummbling threw the cabinet looking for God knows what. So after a quick note to self that we need to once again baby proof the bathroom cabinets, I ask "What's going on". Evan then informs me that Ryan has a boo boo and he wants to fix it for him. I look at both of them, my heart melting at the pure sweetness of the moment. Evan is determined to help his little brother as Ryan sits there waiting patiently for his boo boo sticker complete trusting Evan to take care of him. So I stop and "Click...Take a Pic...." in my mind so I wouldn't forget that moment. I help Evan find the band aids and allow him to apply two to his brothers elbow which turns out isn't a boo boo but left over red marker from the day before durning the lets draw all over ourselves fiasco that for the love of God wouldn't come out in the tub.

So another moment of absolute bliss has occurred all before my first cup of coffee and I know my day has already been off to a good start. So the boys return to their places on the sofa and are now happily munching of Cheerios and grape juice. I return to the kitchen to resume my splenda search and remind myself how lucky I am and how grateful I am for brotherly love.

No comments: