Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Three crosses


On April 4th the neighborhood I live in suffered a pretty tragic incident. I was not there at the time. We were on our way to Florida when my friend and neighbor called to tell me about a horrible car accident that took the lives of a Mom, her 3 year old daughter and a teenage boy.
I ma not sure why I am writing about this. I did not know any of the victims. I did see Cindy (the Mom) jogging from time to time but never got to meet her or her daughter. She was just one of those people in our neighborhood that I figured I would meet at some point in time especially since she had a small child. I do very vividly remember seeing her for the first time power walking when she was very pregnant. I was behind her but remember her because she had extremely long long brown hair which i admired as it swung back and fourth and she was out and athletic at that stage of pregnancy which just somehow made me think she was pretty cool.
In her death I am learning she was a former teacher, a very proud and devoted Mom and a choir director at a near by church. I didn't want to get to know her this way, but I have and I like to think that she and her daughter are together in heaven basking in his glory despite their abrupt and early ending.
The teenage boy lived for about a day and died at the hospital. He lived in South Carolina, not far form me and from his photos and tributes on facebook he looked like a great kid. good looking popular, young... It just doesn't make much sense. But then again many things in life never do.
I have lived in Riverpointe for over 3 years now and I can not think of one time when I have been pulling out of our entrance to cross 4 lanes of traffic at 55mph when I realized that we so desperately need a stop light there. The sad thing is many of us who also live her all knew this was coming. We just didn't know when... Sadly it has taken 3 deaths to finally take getting a stop light there seriously.
I am not going to way in on the politics of city and county budget, traffic laws and why a light has been on hold. I am not going to berate the driver of the car that caused the accident from a very poor decision to drag race. Although he did survive the accident his life has ultimately changed for ever. he has to live with 3 lives gone on his conscious. I don't think I would wish that on anyone.
I decided to write about this because for the last two weeks when I pull out of our neighborhood with extra caution I cross over a circle drawn on the pavement by the police which was the point of impact. Every day I drive over this for one reason or another and I find myself shaking my head at how quickly life can change. There is a man out there who lost his wife and only child. There is a family out there who has lost their teenage son and brother. So many people effected. Our community is just heartbroken. I write this because I want to focus on hope. I want to think that hope will get everyone who has been hurt by this to a better place of healing and closure. Even the ones like myself who is hurting over people I never knew.
The crosses are gone now. The drawings in the road are still there along with some skid marks and torn up grass in the median. I know that every time I pull in or out of my neighborhood I will think of what happened and try very hard not to play the "what if" game. What if it were me...what if it was my best friend, my sister, anyone... Because the truth is it was somebody and it didn't need to be.
So I cling to hope that lessons have been learned, drivers will be smarter and maybe one day a traffic light installed. In the mean time, when I cross over the drawing in the middle of the road I will send up a prayer to three people in heaven who have touched so many.

5 comments:

Therese said...

Mary, This tragedy affects many in Steele Creek. Though I am sad at the great loss this community has, I know you live in that neighborhood; thought about you and the boys and literally thanked God it wasn't you. The "what ifs" play in my mind as well... on another road and same situation, different individuals... And I will pray too, that lessons are learned and people will think twice every time they start up their car. I feel it'll be some time before this community comes to peace over this; but I will pray for peace all around. Makes one get their priorities in check. Thinking of you and your neighbors, -The Goodrich Family

Unknown said...

wow mary. well said. you always know how to put in to words exactly what the rest of us are thinking. thank you for posting this.

ODonnell Family Blog said...

You needed to write this post. I can't get this accident off of my mind either. So tragic. I just cannot imagine what these families are going through.

Amber Greenawalt said...

Cindy has been on my mind a lot too! She WAS pretty cool. The kids at Sebastian and Siennah's school already miss their beloved Miss Cindy. I keep thinking about the Christmas pagents, her directing the childen singing "Happy Birthday Jesus" with that long, long hair...I know she is and Mackie are in heaven.

Jennifer B. said...

I do wish that people didn't speed so much and drag-race on that road. I feel very badly for that family. For what's it worth, about a week ago I saw two people from the police department or City of Charlotte (it was hard to tell because they had reflector vests on) right at that area of the street and they were surveying it. I wonder if something is going to be done about it, like a traffic light.