Tuesday, December 9, 2008

O Christms Tree......


So far a record 118 times today alone that I have said "Don't touch the tree." Or an in attempt to be brilliant, use a more subtle suggestions saying something like "Once the ornament is on the tree, we are not to touch it." I forget how all toddlers and preschoolers have not only selective hearing but also a very impressive "reverse psychology" theory. So when Mommy says don't touch, that of course means touch, yank, pull, grab and (on one occasion) almost knock over said tree if it wasn't for my superhero capability to hurdle the coffee table, grab a branch and hold on for dear life while yelling at the top of my lungs "DIDN'T I SAY DON'T FREAKING TOUCH!!!!" to the boys who at this point have the nerve to be laughing at me.
Needless to say the tree did not fall (nor was it going to but I swear it looked like it could).

So Christmas tree 2008 has officially begun in the Ickert household. It started the usual way with a family outing to the Penland Christmas Tree farm in York County, SC. This place is fantastic. It screams good ole fashion family Christmas as soon as you pull up into the gravel parking lot and lay your eyes on an endless field of Christmas trees. They have a fire pit where kids can roast marshmallows, they serve hot chocolate and free candy canes. Everyone who works there is one big family and I have nerve once not seen them without smiles on their faces. It's a great experience and since the kids are getting older it has turned into a very special tradition. This past weekend we took my folks out there so they could experience the joy as well. We picked out usual Leland Cypress ( they work the best with our tall ceilings), strapped it to the car (okay Chris did that part) and brought it home for the family holiday tradition number 2.

Tradition number 2 has fondly been named by me as "Curse Fest 2008." "Curse fest 2008" applies to my husband from the moment we pull into the driveway with the tree a top our car to the moment the last light is strung. This is a spacial time of year for him since I firmly believe that dropping the "F" bomb 500 times in one hour is good for the soul and can help reduce holiday stress. My job of course is to keep the children far far away from him and be the "Spotter" if and only if he asks for my help (this very important lesson was learned at curse fest 2003 where when asked if I could help he, proceeded to give me his resume on how he used to be an aircraft mechanic and if he could do that he could get the "F-ing" tree in the "F-ing" stand and if I wanted to "F-ing help I was to bring him an F-ing beer). Ahhh....good times

Needless to say Curse fest 2008 was relatively mild and minus one exception where we debated one which side was more crooked (yet another lesson learned... never and I mean never bring up the word "crooked" unless he does first.) The tree was ready for decorating. I couldn't wait to start with the boys this year since they are at the age where they really seem to get Christmas more this year. Why yesterday when I asked Evan what he thought Christmas was all about he replied "Giving." Bursting with pride and adoration I went to go hug him when he then clocked his brother in the face with a toy and boom, life returned to normal.


So there you go, are family Christmas is off and running. The tree is now fully decorated and (I think) the boys know not to mess with it. I find myself durning this busy time of year to really try and slow down and just enjoy everything. Last year I was so over committed with way too much it has been one of my vows since the fall arrived that this year I was going to just slow down and enjoy the holidays. So far so good, even on the stressful days and moments it's been a great start for December. Hope everyone else is having a great season as well. Merry Christmas.

No comments: